Gideon Adams built the first school building in Wellington in 1849. Miss Mary Ann Adams was the first instructor at the school. The present McCormick Middle School has had many additions, but the oldest section dates back to 1867 and cost $30,000 to build. The building had an addition to the front in 1917. An addition to the north side of the building was made in the 1930's and the south side addition was built in the early 1950's. The building currently contains grades 4 - 8. In 1963, Westwood Elementary School was built to help with the overpopulation at McCormick. In 1970, the present Wellington High School was built. However, due to budget issues, the new High School did not open for over a year, with the first students entering the building in August 1971.